Linangan sa Imahen, Retorika, at Anyo (LIRA) celebrates National Language Month with Gawad LIRA 2021, a contest that aims to give poets writing in the Filipino language an opportunity to showcase their flair for Filipino poetry and receive recognition and reward for their work. This contest also aims to promote and enrich Filipino poetry.
The contest is open to all poets writing in the Filipino language until October 29,
Here are the mechanics of the contest:
1. The contest is open to all, except for members of LIRA.
2. Entries must consist of a collection of ten (10) to fifteen (15) poems. Each collection should have a title.
3. Participants may submit poems in free verse, rhyme and meter, or a combination of both.
4. There is no required topic or theme for this contest; however, participants are highly encouraged to tackle socially relevant issues.
5. Entries should be the original work of the author and must be written in Filipino. These should not be a translation of any published work, and must not have been released in any publication.
6. All poems to be submitted should be in the Filipino language.
7. Entries can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, write
“Gawad LIRA.” The email should contain the following:
- The entry (in Portable Document Format [PDF])typewritten in Arial
- font, 12pt font size, single spaced. A4 size with 1-inch margin all around.
- Pen name. Do not put any hint or signifier of the real name of the participant.
- Signed entry form: https://tinyurl.com/gawadlira2021
8. The last day of submission of entries is on October 29, 2021, 11:59 PM. Entries
received after the deadline will no longer be accepted.
9. The committee will acknowledge entries it will receive via email. Entries with
missing attachments or that do not follow the guidelines will be automatically disqualified. All entries received will be considered as final and complete. Any revisions made within the duration of the contest will no longer be accepted.
- 1st Prize: Php 15,000 and trophy
- 2nd Prize: Php 9,000 and plaque
- 3rd Prize: Php 6,000 and plaque
11. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in relation to their decision.
12. Anyone who will be caught and confirmed to have plagiarized will no longer
be able to join the contest.
The winners will be contacted by the committee before the result will be released in public. Official public announcement of winners will be in December 2021 along with the 36th anniversary celebration of LIRA.
Along with this contest is Makata ng LIRA 2021, another Filipino poetry writing
competition that is exclusive for LIRA members only.
For more information and for questions, email email@example.com.
Founded in 1985 by National Artist for Literature Virgilio S. Almario (Rio Alma), the organization had successfully honed some of the Philippines’ most admired poets including Victor Emmanuel Carmelo Nadera, Romulo Baquiran Jr., Michael M. Coroza, Roberto Añonuevo, Rebecca Añonuevo, Jerry Gracio, and Edgar Calabia Samar. In 2011, the organization was recognized as one of the Ten Accomplished Youth Organizations (TAYO) for its service-driven activities related to poetry by its poet-volunteers.
YouTube Channel: Makatang LRA
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org