By Ferdinand Patinio

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Fifteen contractors are now being investigated over the possibility of being prohibited campaign donors during the May 2022 presidential polls, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Friday.
Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said they expect the number to increase as their Political Finance and Affairs Department continues to evaluate the Statement of Contributions and Expenditures of candidates.
“As of yesterday (Thursday), we have identified 15 contractors, which provided support, assistance and donations to the 2022 candidates,” he said in an interview on the sidelines of the Bangsamoro Parliamentary Elections stakeholders briefing here.
“We are prioritizing all positions involved in 2022. There may be more aside from the 15 (contractors).”
He emphasized they have yet to determine if the contractors violated the law.
“They are contractors. If they have a contract with the government at the time of the filing of the candidacy of those they supported, or after the filing of the candidacy, that is something we will know through the DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways),” Garcia said.
Last week, the Comelec disclosed that four contractors were found to have contributed to the campaign of national candidates in 2022.
Under the Omnibus Election Code, “no contribution for purposes of partisan political activity shall be made directly or indirectly by a natural and juridical persons, who hold contracts or sub-contracts to supply the government or any of its divisions, subdivisions, or instrumentalities, with goods or services, or to perform construction or other works.” (PNA)